Innovators + mission = outcomes
Join Queensland’s Chief Entrepreneur, Julia Spicer, for a unique, once in a lifetime opportunity to level up your resilience and help strengthen the Queensland innovation ecosystem and a regional community.
This year the Office of the Queensland Chief Entrepreneur, in partnership with the Torres Strait Island Regional Council and Best Life Adventures, is excited to take a cohort of innovators to the Torres Strait (Zenadth Kes) for a five-day resilience building mission where you will share in physical, mental and cultural experiences with like-minded individuals.
Expand your limits while also learning about the local community’s climate change and sustainability challenges. Use your newfound resilience, innate innovation skills and business acumen to work with the local community to identify innovative strategies and solutions to help them future proof their community.
Resilience is an important part of our health and wellbeing as people, innovators, an ecosystem and a state. By building our own resilience, the benefits naturally flow into other areas of our lives, including our businesses and communities and help us overcome obstacles in the current and future social and economic climate. Queensland is the most regionalized state within Australia, which poses a number of challenges but also opportunities to innovate and take those solutions to a global market.
What to expect on the mission
We’re heading to the most northern part of Queensland (closer to Papua New Guinea than the Australian mainland), to explore one of the most culturally diverse group of islands in the world.
After spending a few days around the Inner Islands, we fly to the tip of the Great Barrier Reef, to the idyllic, tear-drop shaped coral cay of Masig Island.
With a population of less than 300 people the mission will be one of deep cultural connection and community experiences, as you work, live and learn with the local community, camp under the stars and use your collective mindset to forge a path of good for the community’s future.
Prepare to scale back the distractions of everyday life, get outside your comfort zone and uncover a side of Queensland you’ve never experienced before. It’ll surprise, delight and make you rethink your place, purpose and impact on Planet Earth.
When: 4-8 September 2023
Group size: between 12-16 places
Cost: Tickets are $5,000 per person*
*Full ticket payment will be required by COB Thursday 10 August 2023
- All flights, accommodation and meals upon mission commencement in Cairns
- All costs associated with mission and community activities
- Nomadic School of Business Program facilitation
- Travel insurance
- Travel to Cairns (starting point)
Who should come on the mission
We are looking for innovators to join the mission who:
- are based in Queensland, have a base of operations in Queensland, or are currently moving/expanding their business into Queensland
- are from one or more of the following stakeholder groups from the innovation ecosystem:
- Ecosystem builder
- Corporate innovator
- Researcher or university innovator
- Government innovator
- will share their learnings back with the innovation ecosystem
- are aligned with the objectives of the mission
A couple of things to keep in mind when considering the mission:
- You will be experiencing a range of accommodation from motel to camping
- There will be physical and cultural activities, boat and light plane transport
- Due to the nature of the mission, there will be limited access to food to satisfy specific dietary requirements, however we will do our best to accommodate wherever possible
- A full equipment/clothing list of what is needed to bring with you will be supplied following registration
- Photos and videos will be taken during the mission and will be used publicly
Find out more
A virtual information session was held on Thursday 20 July 2023. View the recorded session.
Ready to sign up
We are seeking expressions of interest to come on the mission as places are limited. Get in now so you don’t miss your opportunity.
Registrations have been extended to 7 August 2023
Successful applicants will be advised on 8 August 2023 and invited to purchase their ticket by 10 August 2023.